It’s good to be conscious of everything you ingest into your body, especially regarding caffeine intake. I know you love the pumpkin spice latte. That’s why you are concerned about its caffeine content. Luckily, I am here to help you understand your favorite coffee drink better.
Pumpkin spice latte contains caffeine. The 16 fluid ounce serving size has 150mg of caffeine. That’s because the latte variant has brewed espresso, which contributes to the caffeine content in it.
- Does Coffee Contain Sulfites? – Is Sulfite In Coffee Bad For You?
- Tea and Coffee Mixed – Is the Combination of Tea & Coffee Our Next Hot Drink?
- Is Coffee Good for Sore Throats? – Should You Drink Coffee When You Have A Sore Throat?
- Mocha cookie crumble frappuccino – Your New Favorite Coffee Drink?
- Japanese Iced Coffee: Which Method Is The Best?
Table of Contents
What is Pumpkin Spice Latte?
It is a coffee drink with blends of traditional fall spices such as ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Other ingredients are espresso, steamed milk, and sugar, with vine pie spice and whipped cream as toppings.
Starbucks was the first to offer the pumpkin spice latte in the year 2003. Since then, the coffee drink has yielded various product variations appearing seasonally.
Does Pumpkin Spice Latte Contain Caffeine?
Yes, the vine spice latte contains caffeine. The 12 fluid ounce serving size, which has a shot of espresso, carries 75mg of caffeine, while in a 16 fluid ounce serving size, you get 150 mg of caffeine.
The source of caffeine in the pumpkin herb latte is the brewed espresso. Yet still, don’t feel discouraged if you are looking to cut down on your caffeine intake. You can still request your barista to make your pepo seasoning latte with decaf espresso.
However, you need to know that using decaf espresso may not guarantee zero caffeine content. But at least the amount is significantly less than what you can find in a regular espresso brew.
According to the mayo clinic, a single shot of decaffeinated espresso has an estimate of 0 to 15mg caffeine.
If you need enough caffeine in your latte to get you through the day, aim for the 16 fl oz serving size. But don’t take that if you need to catch a nap.
How To Make Your Pumpkin Spice Latte At Home
Did you know you can make your pumpkin spice latte in just a few minutes? Now you know, and I am going to teach you how to do it. The best thing is that you can find all the ingredients in that market near you.
- Three tablespoons of vine spice syrup. (It contains ground nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cinnamon sticks, water, sugar, and pumpkin puree.) I will teach you how to make it in a short while.
- One cup of whole milk. If you don’t take whole milk, non-dairy milk will still do a good job.
- A single shot of brewed espresso
- A pinch of pumpkin pie spice
- A half a cup of whipped cream
Preparation Of The Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Before I get to the procedure of making the pepo spice latte, allow me to explain to you how to prepare your homemade pumpkin spice syrup.
The ingredients are:
- A cup of water
- 1cup of sugar
- ¾ of a tablespoon ground cloves
- ¾ of a tablespoon ground ginger
- Four cinnamon sticks
- 11/2 tablespoons of ground nutmeg
- Three tablespoons of vine puree
- Pour the water and sugar into a saucepan and allow it to simmer.
- After dissolving the sugar, add ginger, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, ground cloves, and the pumpkin puree.
- Simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes.
- Get it out of the heat and use a cheesecloth to strain your syrup immediately.
Note: The ingredients above yield vine spice syrup for six latte drinks. You can prepare enough syrup and store it in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Steps To Preparing Your Pumpkin Spice Latte
Since the pepo spice syrup is now ready, it’s time for me to take you through the steps for making a pumpkin spice latte.
- Heat your milk on a saucepan and vigorously whisk to froth it. If you have an espresso machine, the steam wand will do the job. With the Nespresso, use the aeroccino frother to foam your milk.
- Brew your espresso using the espresso machine. You can also use the Nespresso capsules to brew using your Nespresso machine.
- Pour your pumpkin spice syrup into a cup. Add the hot espresso and stir to combine.
- Add into the cup your hot frothed milk until it reaches ¾ full. Put your whipped cream to top up.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin pie spice on top.
- Relax and enjoy your vine seasoning cafe.
How Is The Taste Of a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Perhaps you think there is a taste of the vine in the coffee drink. But the pumpkin spice latte does not have a pumpkin taste.
Instead, you first feel the soothing taste of the whipped cream with the pumpkin pie sprinkles on top. Then, you take the cozy sip of a hot, smooth, and creamy drink with spicy sweetness. You may even fail to feel the taste of coffee inside. That’s because the coffee taste is not so strong in it.
How Many Calories Are in the Pepo Seasoning Cafe?
A 16 fi oz serving size gives you 380 calories, whereby fats alone contribute 130 calories. The small eight fl oz size has 190 calories.
If you want to reduce your calories, you may have to go for the skinny pumpkin spice latte. Ask the barista to prepare your coffee drink with skim milk and no whipped cream. You will cut down on your calories by around 120.
Besides, you can opt for non-dairy milk like almond milk in your pumpkin spice latte. You will still get a tasty cup with a lot of health benefits.
Is Pumpkin Spice Latte Healthy?
The spices in the drink like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves pose many health benefits. However, the high number of calories and sugar in pumpkin spice lattes can affect your health. You might have to do rigorous workouts to burn those extra calories.
Even so, all hope is not lost. You can still make a healthy pumpkin spice latte by:
- Reducing the amount of sugar and whipped in your drink.
- Using skim milk instead of whole milk.
- Opting for non-dairy milk products.
- Controlling all the ingredients.
If you were looking for a sweet caffeinated drink, a pumpkin spice latte is a complete package. In a 16 fl oz serving size, you will get 150 mg of caffeine. Even so, if you want to cut down on your caffeine intake, you can opt for a skinny pumpkin spice latte.