Has your Krups coffee maker been acting up lately? That could be because of a mineral buildup, which requires you to clean your machine as soon as possible. But what if you don’t know how to do that? Here’s how to clean Krups coffee maker.
Fill the carafe with a descaling solution or water and vinegar solution. Press the ‘CLEAN’ and ‘BREW’ buttons and let the machine run a complete cycle. Rinse the machine by brewing two (or more) full cycles of clean water. You can also use cleaning tablets if your model allows.
Table of Contents
Daily Cleaning Maintenance Tips
A daily cleaning routine is the first step to ensuring your Krups coffee maker is always clean. This one doesn’t need to be a thorough clean, but it helps to keep your machine in top shape.
Here are a few tips to guide you:
- Remove and clean the water reservoir and carafe daily. You can wash these in soapy water and rinse them with clean running water. However, don’t use abrasive cleaners and scrubbers, so you don’t scratch the glass.
- You can clean the reservoir and carafe in a dishwasher. However, only use the top rack in your dishwasher because it’s the safest for these items.
- Detach the drip dry, and clean it with soapy water before rinsing it and patting it dry with a paper towel.
- Clip out the coffee ground collector and wash it in soapy water. Rinse it with clean water, then dry it before clipping it back.
- Wipe the coffee maker with a soapy cloth, then rinse it with a clean damp cloth.
- Clean the counter with a clean cloth to remove any spills.
Better still, you can watch this video on how to clean Krups coffee maker:
If you observe this daily cleaning routine for your Krups coffee maker, you will enjoy flavorful coffee for long. However, you still need to clean the machine thoroughly, at least once every month.
How to Descale Krups Coffee Machine with a Descaling Powder
One of the most effective ways to clean your Krups coffee maker is by descaling it with the KRUPS FO54 Descaling Powder. The powder helps to remove the mineral buildup in your coffee maker, allowing you to continue enjoying your unadulterated cup of coffee whenever you need it.
Mineral buildup is caused by mineral deposits from the hard water you use to brew your coffee. They can cause unhealthy mold on your coffee maker, alter the taste of your drink, and can cause your machine to break down.
Here’s how to descale your Krups coffee maker:
- Remove the reservoir, fill it with the descaling solution, and place it back correctly.
- Place a receptacle under the outlet.
- Fill the water tank, then press the CLEAN button.
- Press the BREW button to start the half-hour cleaning process.
- If there’s some descaling solution left in the reservoir and no water in the water tank, press the CLEAN button again to complete the process.
- Rinse your Krups coffee maker by brewing two complete cycles with clean water. You can rinse more times to remove the scent left by your descaling solution.
- Fit a new filter cartridge.
KRUPS recommends that you descale your coffee maker after every 360 brewing cycles or when the clean button lights up. However, this could be different depending on the hardness of your water and how frequently you use your coffee maker.
Here are some indicators you need to descale your Krups coffee maker.
- Your coffee takes longer to brew
- Your coffee maker emits too much steam when brewing a cycle
- The machine stops before completing a cycle
- Your coffee maker becomes noisy towards the end of a brewing cycle.
If you observe these signs, descale your coffee maker as soon as possible.
How to Clean Krups Coffee Machine with Vinegar
You can also make a DIY Krups coffee maker cleaning solution at home with white vinegar and water. You only need to mix the vinegar and water in equal portions to fill your carafe. For instance, mix six cups of white vinegar with six cups of water to clean a 12-cup Krups coffee maker.
Here’s a detailed guide on how to use this mixture:
- Fill your carafe with the solution, then press the CLEAN and BREW buttons.
- Allow the machine to run a complete cycle.
- Rinse the machine with two cycles of clean water. You can run more cycles until the taste and smell of vinegar are no longer prominent.
How to Clean Krups Coffee Maker with Tablets
Krups has specially designed tablets for cleaning their coffee-making machines. You can buy these tablets and use them to clean your machine.
The tablets work for fully automated Krups coffee makers. The models have an automated step-by-step guide on how to use the tablets.
You should use one tablet per cleaning. The manufacturer recommends that you clean the machine after every 360 brewing cycles. However, you don’t have to keep count because the machine will alert you when it’s time to clean.
Krups Coffee Maker Troubleshooting
Is your Krups coffee maker suddenly acting up and making it almost impossible to get that cup of coffee? Well, that’s frustrating, no doubt. Here are some troubleshooting tips for reinstating your coffee maker’s performance.
- Consult your manual and see what the manufacturer suggests you do for each problem.
- Check the water tank and power connection if the machine isn’t brewing.
- Reprogram the clock if you reset your machine to ensure it works on the scheduled brew time.
- Disable the automatic stop feature by switching the machine off and then on again.
- If the coffee filter overflows, check if there’s ground coffee stuck between the paper filter and the filter basket. You might also have inserted two filters instead of one, causing the overflow. In this case, remove the extra filter.
Pro Tip: Depending on the make of your Krups coffee maker, you can use a double action filter cartridge to trap chlorine and scale deposits. This doesn’t rule out the need to descale your machine, but it reduces the frequency.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How much vinegar do you use to clean a Krups coffee maker?
A: Use vinegar and water in equal portions to fill your carafe.
Q: How do you clean the clean button on a Krups coffee maker?
A: Wipe the button clean with a soapy cloth, then pat it dry with a paper towel.
Q: How do you remove buildup from a coffee maker?
A: You remove buildup by descaling the coffee maker with a descaling solution or vinegar.
Q: How do you clean a Krups 5-cup coffee maker?
A: You can clean a Krups 5-cup coffee maker with five cups of water and white vinegar solution. You can also use a commercial descaling solution or a cleaning tablet if your model’s settings allow.
Q: How often should I descale my coffee maker?
A: Descale the coffee maker at least once every month or as soon as the CLEAN button lights up.
Learning how to clean Krups coffee maker is a great way to ensure you can have fresh, flavorful coffee whenever you need it. While it’s recommended that you clean the machine once every month, the frequency can vary depending on how much you use your machine and the hardness of your tap water.
All the same, keep some descaling solution or vinegar close for whenever you need to clean your machine.